Monday, February 9, 2009

Neurontin to blame for inability to achieve orgasm?


Well, thank God the pain doc talked to me about my nerve pain Friday, and decided to wean me off Neurontin within two weeks. (Suddenly stopping it makes horrid side effects - yeah, I tried that too). It is used to treat nerve pain, the kind of burning, icepick stabbing pain I had immediately after surgery from having the nerves all moved around and irritated. Apparently in about 1/100 cases it interferes with the ability to acheive orgasm (men and women!). Looks like I'm the lucky bastard on my block. It's been, what, 30 some days now and I remain completely disconnected from the neurological part of my body respnsible for arousal and all that? OMG.

.

I see this topic all over womens' mags all the time, but never gave it much worry since my mind-body-soul connection cannot imagine going without orgasm for one single day. Not even one. I mean, I have documented that the intensity waxes and wanes with planetery cycles and what-not, but even then ususally I am able to get some reward for my efforts. But wow. Nothing. So in two weeks I stop taking it altogether, after weaning off, and then another week to get out of my system completely? OK I promise to seriously try to watch my temper and attitude stuff. But, please forgive me for any craziness, if you are a loved one nearby or close to my heart. I am out of my mind!

2 comments:

Trek1954 said...

this happened to me too. I am female. Did you ever get it back? I have been off a few weeks now and still am NUMB in my genitals. It's HORRIFYING.

david said...

Yes, it returned after I discontinued that horrible medication.