Monday, September 8, 2008

Monogamy vs. polyamory

My Christian upbringing, (which is not strictly based on what my parents taught me, but is rather attributed to the entire society in which I was raised), contributed to my firm belief in monogamy. This was a viewpoint that I was unwilling to compromise on, ever. During my studies involving higher consciousness, global awakening, as well as What Is The Meaning of Life?, I kept being led to the idea that "marriage" and "monogamy" were strictly rules put in place by the Christian Church oh so long ago, as a societal control measure. I kept being led to the experiences of persons whose opinions I respected who espoused that they had successful polyamorous relationships.

We have to define "polyamory" first of all. A polyamorous relationship is not the equivalent or in any way comparable to an "open relationship," where each partner is free to go and have sex with whomever s/he chooses. Rather, a polyamorous relationship is one in which a married/partnered couple finds themselves in the situation where one or both of them feel such a connection or attraction to a third party that they agree that it is OK for one or both to enter into a sexual relationship with the third party. There is no expectation that the "married/partnered" relationship status will change in any way, but rather that they may offer to extend their love to another, in the physical sense. (This of course comes with a spiritual sense as well, but for those who are unaware of the spiritual connections/connotations of sexual relationships, we'll stick with physical for now).

The channeled messages especially have been challenging us to challenge our own belief systems, since they are what has caused us to get into the mess that we are in today, collectively. We need some new models on which to build our society.

Belive you me, I was a *staunch* critic of marital affairs, I guess because I saw what destruction that they seemed to leave in their wake. However, the extramarital sexual activities engaged in by one party was never known or admitted to the other party, or, when it was, they split up.

Polyamory, on the other hand, has a distinctly different construct than what we generally define as an "affair." Special care must be taken to ensure that everyone is on the same page, and that nobody's heart gets trampled in the process. But I am willing to concede that I think it is possible for a group of people to enter into such an arrangement successfully.

I think it is quite rare, and would have to be based on the fact that all parties involved were particularly advanced in the studies of esoterics and metaphysics, history, religion, and self-awareness.

Let's hear it for being able to change yet another wrong paradigm in my brain!

LOVE TO ALL, JUDGMENT FOR NONE
dave

1 comment:

kookyknut said...

I don't agree with your definition of polyamory. You can love someone intimately without having sex with them.

I find myself in an unconventional relationship, but if people pressure me for details I say I'm in an open relationship.

"Open" in the sense that I am open to my friends and lovers of my relationships which may or may not agree with their traditional views on relationships, and "Open" in the sense that my relationships are open to evolving.

But man, isn't conditioning hard to shake!! :)