Monday, July 20, 2009

OMG I am so misunderstood.

So Jesse and I are in the hot tub talking about anxiety, and whether he pushes people away or whether he allows his husband to help him with this issue, through intimacy, cuddling, breathwork, massage, reiki, etc. I was raising the idea that it would be a shame for him not to realize the incredible value inherent in having a loving partner. I chose to express this by saying, "that it would be a shame for him not to allow this process for himself, since by being married he has a built-in tool for battling anxiety." And he immediately picked out the double entendre of the meaning of the word "tool" when describing his husband,which was not a consideration of any connotation or formation of any idea I was trying to express.
.
So, I must learn to weigh every word that I utter, from multiple perspectives and with multiple definitions, so as not to be misunderstood.
.
What an awesome lesson. See what a great learning lab is available with someone that you love? INCREDIBLE.

4 comments:

Jesse said...

I understood exactly what you meant, already knowing how wonderful and calming Michael is to me. I was joking on the double entendre nature of the phrase!

Jesse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jesse said...

But to note it: I had a lovely time, and as always, enjoyed your company. It was nice to just chill after a long, long day of work. I appreciated your advice/perspective.

david said...

No, but I mean generally speaking, could this be a reason I am misunderstood always - bad choice of words during communication.