Thursday, December 24, 2009

Anxiously awaiting Spring.

Twice, I have been sitting on my patio and surprised by the fast approach of a hummingbird who stops mid-air and hovers, looking at me. While looking at posts from the Summer Solstice today to try to determine if I am on track concerning my intentions at that time, I saw a photograph I had taken of a hummingbord at a resort I had visited with Dale. The bird was eating nectar from the flower of an aloe vera plant. Well, right behind where I sit is a aloe vera patch, and two of them are growing stalks of flowers which are not yet open. The bird is coming to check the progress of the flowering of the aloe vera. I planted two bouganvilleas, so I should have hummingbirds galore during the warm months of the year. If my plan to plant vegetables and flowers comes to fruition, I will also have bees. Birds and bees. Hmm.
.
I want to go to Lowe's or Home Depot Saturday to get birds of paradise, other flowering plants (I am still partial to roses, but we'll see), garden vegetable and herb seeds, planter pots and mulch to sprout the seeds, and whatever else catches my fancy. I also need a way to grow radish sprouts hydroponically, with no dirt, so that I can put them on my salad - they are the BEST THING EVER. I am looking for a plant to put inside downstairs as well, a big towering plant, like a schefflera. Gardening is expensive though! And I can only crouch for a very short period of time, so I get about 15-20 minutes of work time per day, if that. It is all very exciting. I have not lived in a place with dirt where I could plant plants or with enough sunshine to grown them inside since 1999. Way too long.

No comments: