Saturday, November 28, 2009

Cooking with coconut oil

The newest scientific understanding of the benefits of cooking with coconut oil are based not on its status as a saturated fat, but rather on the newly discovered understanding of its chemical structure which supports and increases thyroid function, increasing metabolism, leading to weight reduction and cholesterol reduction.
I post this for Jesse, who lashed out at me like I was bat-shit crazy a few months back when I tried to bring up the subject, and was met with his brick wall of assumption rather than getting him to consider the actual facts. He frustrates me in this way continually.

1 comment:

Jesse said...

I'm an olive oil user all the way. But coconut oil sounds interesting - especially with its flavor profile (might be great for fish) - though I still question its health benefits, being 90%+ saturated fat:

Fatty Acid Saturation Carbs (%)
Caproic Saturated 6 (0.5%
Caprylic Saturated 8 (7.8%
Capric Saturated 10 (6.7%
Lauric Saturated 12 (47.5%
Myristic Saturated 14 (18.1%
Palmitic Saturated 16 (8.8%
Stearic Saturated 18 (2.6%
Arachidic Saturated 20 (0.1%
Oleic Monounsaturated 18 (6.2%
Linoleic Polyunsaturated 18 (1.6%